Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Oh wow.

First off, let me start by saying I thought that this blog got deleted. So while many many things have been happening that I feel ought to be documented, I haven't really had an outlet (nor the patience or time) to write any of them down. The circumstances of my rediscovering this blog are as follows...

It's back-to-school night. Supposedly this started at 6:00 pm, and it's 6:22. Still no parents. So I sat down at my desk (just recently equipped with a functioning, internet-connected iMac) and with this borrowed time, I puttered around the web until I thought of visiting blogger and it automatically logged me in. So here I am, waiting for parents. Ready to hit "Save Now" and close out in a heartbeat...especially since I hear desks being moved in the room nextdoor.

False alarm. Still no parents.

So I almost quit today. I mean there are moments...a few rare moments on isolated days...when my "teaching and management style" just sort of click with the students and some learning happens. Let me emphasize the transience and rarity of these moments. I spend an overwhelming majority of the time in my classroom standing still, holding my ruined throat, waiting in exasperation as the minutes tick away and my students yell, shout, throw things, and tear the room down around me. Anything and everything but show some self-respect by acting like the students they are supposed to be.

This is entry has been cut short due to the arrival of parents. Check in again to see how things have changed in a couple of weeks.

No comments: